24 Jan About – History
Over the decades, the League has changed, but its commitment to empowering Calgary’s women as leaders and supporting the community remains the same. The League has a long history in the Calgary community – a legacy we are proud to continue.
Significant milestones in JLC history include:
- 1950 – The Junior Service League of Calgary was established by 11 women, with 108 women attending the first Annual Meeting.
- 1951 – The League purchased a house at 622 5th Avenue West.
- 1951 – The League established the JLC Stampede Stir-up Cabaret Fundraiser.
- April 1956 – The League was accepted into the Association of Junior Leagues of America.
- 1954 – The JLC created the Central Volunteers Bureau in its first endeavor of building capacity. It became known as Volunteer Calgary and continues to operate as Propellus.
- 1957 – The JLC publicly endorsed fluoridation of the local water supply in 1957.
- 1958 – The JLC hosted “Volunteer Roundup” for community agencies and volunteers to provide training, so volunteers could be used more efficiently and effectively.
- 1962 – The JLC funded and established the Alberta Social Work Education Research Committee to assess the need for a graduate school of social work in Alberta. In response to the committee’s report, the Alberta Government established a social work education program.
- 1967 – To celebrate Canada’s centennial anniversary in 1967, the JLC voted to build and operate the Renfrew Girl’s Club in cooperation with the Boys Clubs of Calgary. These organizations later merged to form the Boys and Girls Club of Calgary.
- 1973 – The JLC adopted the Interpretative Audio Visual Centre at the restored and rebuilt Fort Calgary to commemorate Calgary’s centennial.
- 1977 – The JLC formed the Child Advisory Action Committee to “advocate through legislative action, education and/or the provision of direct services on behalf of the children in Calgary with regard to their unmet needs.”
- 1983 – The JLC committed financial resources in a joint venture with the Government of Alberta and Fort Calgary to initiate restoration of the Deane House at Fort Calgary.
- 1984 – The current location of the Junior League of Calgary at 511 22nd Avenue SW was purchased and renovated. The Next-to-New Shop which the JLC operated since 1950 was operated in the basement of the new office facility.
- 1997 – The JLC launched its first website.
- 1997 – The JLC created a reading program to support literacy among children. This program eventually became Calgary Reads.
- 2000 – The JLC, in its 50th year, coordinated the National Done-in-a-Day, a pyjama party that drew attention to the issue of domestic violence on International Women’s Day.
- 2001 – The JLC created the Junior Chefs program to address child hunger and obesity in Calgary. In 2008 this award-winning program was turned over to the Boys and Girls Club of Calgary.
- 2006 – The Association of Junior Leagues International developed Kids in the Kitchen based on Calgary’s Junior Chefs program. Kids in the Kitchen currently is delivered annually by more than 200 Junior Leagues in four countries.
- 2010 – The JLC, in its 60th year, entered a float in the Calgary Stampede Parade to celebrate its engagement with the Calgary community.